Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Book Review--Entangled by Nikki Jefford



The Cover:  Such a pretty cover.  I've seen people say that it has nothing to do with the story, but after having read this book, I think they are wrong.   Without giving away spoilers, which I refuse to do, I will use the blurb to explain.  Resurrection spell--the white and snow to me represents death and the flower rejuvenation.  Is the girl accepting the flower or offering it?  I'm not sure, but I'll leave it at that.  You can be the judge after you have read the book :)

The Blurb:  

A Resurrection Spell Gone Wrong

Two months after dying, Graylee Perez wakes up in her twin sister Charlene’s body. As a witch, can anyone blame her mother for attempting to bring her daughter back to life? Now Gray is stuck sharing her sister’s body in twenty-four-hour shifts.

Raj McKenna is rumored to meddle in the black arts, not to mention he’s after Gray’s invisibility spell, and worse—her heart. But Raj might be the only one powerful enough to save Gray from fading away forever.

The race is on for Gray to find a way back inside her own body before Charlene purges her from existence.

*****

This book is intended for older teens. (Christie says: I agree with this disclaimer. Mature subject matter, not over the top though)


My Review:

So I've been hearing a lot about this book from reviewer friends and goodread friends and other online friends and you know what?  There is a basis for the hype!

I loved Entangled.  The Perez sisters are as much like sisters as a guppy and a lion.  I'm not saying that one of them is a guppy and one is a lion, but it's close.

First you have Graylee, our main protagonist.  Gray is fun and realistic.  She has a soul, unlike her sister Charlene, who seemed to have lost hers somewhere in the birthing canal.  All I have to say about that is I am so glad none of my sisters are like Charlene.  Sisters are supposed to support each other, and being a twin...shame on you Charlene.  Okay, rant over.

Entangled is just that...a mixed up mess of people doing things to people they shouldn't and accidental situations gone horribly wrong, but more than that it is about emotions and connections.  I liked the way Ms. Jefford made me question stereotypes, and my own judgements.  Also, how a good situation can flip to bad in a nanosecond just from a misunderstanding.We can never fully know the motivation of someone else, but oft times I think we assume ill intent when none was meant. 

Not so in this case.  You sort of get a bit of Charlene's character from the blurb.  Why would Charlene want to purge her sister?  I'm not going to get into spoilers, but Charlene has no right to be miffed about sharing a body with Gray.  Yet from the start we see the shallow side to Charlene.  I had hoped to see a deeper level to her character emerge.  At times, Charlene did seem to be a bit two dimensional as we didn't get her point of view that often.  It would have been nice to know why she thought it was okay to let her sister slip into the afterlife without even a wave byebye, especially considering how she got displaced from her own body in the first place, but, unfortunately, this go around we didn't get those answers.

Raj is mentioned in the blurb, and I have to say he was such a great character.  Multidimensional to the core, he was easily relatable.  Of all the characters, I think he is the most real.  Yet the book was full of great interaction, believable dialogue, interesting situations, and flat out entertainment.

So my experience reading Entangled went something like this...Who are these people and what do they have to do with the plot...oh....ooooh...what?...she did not...wow, I hate that girl...wow, I love that guy...is this ever going to work out?...man, I really hate that girl...no way did that just happen...phew...aww, so cute. LOL.

Entangled is a great read full of fresh characters, for the most part, and an engaging plot.  It was a bit 90210, but I like that :) The best part about it was that it was full of emotion.  So if you haven't guessed by now, my rating is...

Get your own digital copy of Entangled for $2.99
or find out more about the book on goodreads.  Be sure to add it to your to-read shelf

Happy Reading Everyone
~Christie






No comments:

Post a Comment